Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back to School

I can't believe we are in the third week of school already! I have three blocks of language arts classes that total 100 students. My classes are huge, but the kids are really awesome. My 6th graders are so smart I don't know if I can keep up with them. They want to know everything about everything. I am presenting a lesson this week based on the book Dreams by Susan Bosak. Has anyone read it? Leslie and I attended a workshop last summer where the author presented and read the book to us. It was awesome listenting to her read her own words! Since the book focuses on dreams and goals, I plan to have the kids make their gold stars and write their own goals and dreams for this year on them. After they make their stars, I'll hang them from the ceiling for the parents to see on open house night. What do you think? I think I'll bring the book to share with all of you on Saturday.

Is everyone writing? So far, my students love to write--my 6th graders do, the 7th graders are more reluctant. We talked about modeling this summer, and I have really taken it to heart. I am writing everyday with my students. When I ask them to write in response to a jounal topic, I write with them. So far we have all responded to Chrysanthemum, Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, and numerous poems. This dinosaur is right there with them.

Do I sound excited? Am I rambling? I guess it's because I am so pumped about this new school year and sharing my experiences from this summer. My principal, assistant principal, and counselor are coming to share the 'dream' lesson on Thursday.

Okay all you Bluebonnets out there. I want to hear back from you.

1 comment:

Sessamalie said...

Mommala,

Yes, my kiddos are writing. AND... I am reading a lot of children's books with them. I don't care how old you are, there is something visceral about being read to. The latest: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendack. The kids loved it and wrote tons and tons in response!

Well done on your teaching demonstration and well done on an awesome start to the 2007-2008 school year.

Love to you!
Les