Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ashley Revisited

Ashley was not a reader when she walked into my classroom last year, and she made sure that she let me know how much she disliked, no make that hated, reading and all it entails. I love reading, after all, I’m a reading teacher. How could anyone not like to read? Reading is what makes my world go ‘round, the places I travel, the people I meet. They’re all in books. Here was a challenge for me, and Lord knows I love a good challenge!
Since reading is such a big part of my life, and life in my classroom, I wanted to share this with Ashley. I never sit at my desk alone; I’m always surrounded by friends. I made sure Ashley, and everyone else, saw those friends. John Grisham’s The Fifth Horseman was lying on top of Patricia Cornwell’s Blowfly while Mitch Albom’s Five People You Meet in Heaven peeked out from under Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig, and the other talking rabbits inhabiting Watership Down. From her corner on the front cover, Anne Frank seemed to wink at Ebeneezer Scrooge who hadn’t yet converted from his clanking chains and money-grubbing ways. So many of my nearest and dearest were close at hand.
Every Friday is RICH Letter Day in my class (Reading is a Coolossal Habit), and the kids respond to their books in the form of a letter to me. Ashley’s response was always, ‘I just started my book so I’m not really ready to write.’ This went on for weeks, but I wasn’t about to give up.
Daily I would ask Ashley what she was reading and comment about it.
“Oh, Ashley, I read Maniac Magee over the summer and really liked it.” Or “I haven’t read Speak yet. May I borrow it when you’re finished?”
Throughout all of this, I kept my ‘friends’ on my desk for all, most especially Ashley, to see. Finally, she asked me what book I was reading. I showed her my latest James Patterson, and she wanted to know a bit about mysteries. Now I realize Patterson is not really meant for a seventh grader, so I was very glad she found The Westing Game on the shelf and started reading it.
On Friday she had a lot to write about.

Dear Ms. Huster,
I’m reading The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, and I have a few questions about some of the characters. Why is Turtle so mean to everyone? Does Crowe really dress all in black and have a hooked nose? Why doesn’t Turtle’s mother seem to like her much?
Happy reading,
Ashley

Are we making some progress here?
Ashley took several weeks to get through The Westing Game, but she picked up another mystery after that. Her letters were getting quite interesting and long. She made comments and asked questions about characters, plot, setting, and even the author’s writing style.
Once the second mystery was finished, Ashley again asked me what I was reading, and I told her I was rereading The Diary of Anne Frank. She picked out a biography to read.

Dear Ms. Huster,
I am reading a biography of Sam Houston. It’s also for Texas History. Is it okay that I'm reading the same book for both classes?
Keep on reading,
Ashley

I think she’s got it!
Ashley continued to read by first asking me what I was reading and then finding something in that genre. She always went back to the mystery, though, as that became her favorite. I don’t really blame her; it’s mine as well.
Last week my husband and I went to see Live Free or Die Hard and, as usual, I ran into a parent. That’s what happens when you live and teach in the same town.
The lady sitting next to me gazed into my face and said, “You’re a teacher at CMS, right?”
Thoughts zigzagged through my brain. Do I have a giant scarlet T stamped on my forehead, or is it that bleary-eyed teacher look I can’t get rid of? I just wanted to spend a nice, quiet evening with my hubby. Okay, Die Hard won’t exactly be quiet. Skip and I just wanted alone time with dinner and a little wine. I had a full glass of wine in my hands, and I was transporting it slowly to my lips. Drat, why am I drinking wine now? Why am I at a movie theater? Why did I leave the house?
“Yes, I’m Pat Huster and you are?”
“I’m Ashley Sexton’s mom. I just wanted you to know that you changed her life.”
Again, those thoughts tumbled around up there. I don’t have a scarlet T on my forehead and maybe that bleary-eyed look is on vacation, but how did I change Ashley’s life? What could I have possibly done that was life altering? She seemed to be the same sweet girl when she left my class as she was when she entered.
“You see, Ms. Huster, before walking into your classroom, Ashley hated to read. It was only something she did if she really had to. You showed her how great books can be and all that can be gained from them. Ms. Duncan, her English teacher this past year, even commented on it. Do you still keep a pile of books on your desk? Ashley told me about that. She spends all of her birthday money on new books. You really changed my daughter’s life.”

I have to admit that a few stray tears slid down my cheek while sitting there in the movie theater. Good thing it was dark.

4 comments:

Jolyn said...

Pat,
I believe you've followed the proper narrative form. I see the beginning, middle, and end of your incident. However, I don't think the end was truly the end (although it sums up your paper nicely). You helped that young lady to begin her reading life. I wish the news media would pick up on stories like this one instead of the stories about the "creepers" who infiltrate our profession. Thank you for letting me in on a happy ending story.
Jolyn

Heather said...

Pat- Great work! I love what you have- it's really added a lot of details to the story. Style and word choice is excellent- you may want to read through this again out loud and see what words you don't like or would like to change. I think it's a matter of preference.

Sessamalie said...

Mommala,

Your story was very well developed. Your ideas flowed quite nicely. We were aware of your problem, following the steps toward your solution.

As an aside, I can HEAR your saying these words. You have such a distinctive voice in your writing. It is quite charming ;)

I love how you interspersed the story with Ashley's RICH letters. Nice touch!

Love to you,
Les

Kinderbeanie :) said...

Pat,

Thank you for sharing your story about Ashley. It is wonderful to hear your voice in the piece. After spending a month reading and writing together, it is easy to see that you have such an amazing touch with your learners.

This piece is so important to allow us to look into the growth of a writer/reader. Ashley would not have had the opportunity, in many classrooms, to explore here reading and writing.

I also read your Lit Review to see how the story "fit" into the research-based learning that we all want to pull from. No surprises for you, huh? You made the reading/writing/speaking/thinking connections with your classes and the benefits are evident.

How will this change the way you do reading/writing in your classroom this year? How will you impact your learners? How will you reach other educators? What are the implications for working with your campus?

Thank you for allowing us to look into your classroom, into your life as a writer, and your student's life to see the wonderful possibilities that occur.

Joyce :)