Tuesday, July 17, 2007

How Writers Grow, Ward

Thanks so much for sharing this book with me. It's going to be a helpful tool for me when I return to my classroom in August. In Chapter One Ward shows teachers a way to get started with writing. This is always the hardest step. I already use a few of these with my students; they know a great deal about me and what I like to read, when I grew up, what my kids are doing these days. The prompts, starters, will add a bit of whimsy to the writing and the writing process.

While Ward shared a wealth of ideas about writing and how to get the students stared on their journey, I feel the best part of this chapter was the focus on respect. We need to let the students know we respect them, their ideas, and their writing. If we don't show them respect for what they are doing, they will never find the value in doing a good job.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I would love to hear your idas about prompts. Another question, how do you promote the idea of respect in your own classroom? Is there a lesson or are there resources you can share to help us establish this setting of respect in our own classrooms?