Wednesday, July 18, 2007

River Legacy Park

The Enchanted Forest

Sun peeked through the tree canopy and lit the spider web woven through the branches. Gazing around me at the green of leaves and the red of berries and the look of pure awe on the faces of my fellow Bluebonnets, I was transported to days gone by and revisited an old friend from my youth, the Enchanted Forest. Not just any enchanted forest, my very own enchanted forest.

Oh, the days spent picnicking, playing, and prancing among the trees and flowers were glorious when viewed through the eyes of a 10 year old girl and her merry band of friends. We took on the roles of prince, princess, ogre, knight. Robin Hood and Maid Marion teamed up with us as well. Our fair princess (my best friend Sharon because she was so pretty) was rescued from the hideous ogre (my baby brother Dennis, just because) by the handsome prince (Sharon’s brother Roger because he was older and, well, cute) in this magical fairyland. I was the troubadour, our story teller, who told of our exploits

We didn’t know what kinds of trees grew in our forest, but we suspected leprechauns lived in them. After all, we found the crock (a broken flower pot discarded by the landowner) hiding their gold. There was simply no other explanation for that pot being there in our forest. Our feet seemed to take on a life of their own as we pranced with reckless abandon across the carpeted forest. Were they inhabited by fairies and sprites? Perhaps Pan himself fashioned this flute that could only be heard in our mind’s ear.

All of these memories came flooding back to me during my walk through River Legacy Park. This tree-filled oasis is home to beavers, birds, bobcats, and other wildlife indigenous to our part of Texas. Serene paths meander throughout this lush garden rich with wonder and graced by sheer beauty. Wander the paths, stroll the riverbed, replenish your spirit and soul.

Remember the lines from Joyce Kilmer’s inspiring poem Trees:

Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

1 comment:

Sessamalie said...

Mom,
It has been an honor to share this experience with you... my momma, my best friend, my bluebonnet sister. I love to hear and read what you write as it is OUR ("Huster Ladies") voice. You are a talented, charming, insightful writer, teacher, and friend.
I love you tons!
Les